Currently, a travel to Iran cannot be arranged in a standard way, for a few reasons:
- The country still lives in banking and financial isolation,so that credit and debit cards will not work, except for a few shops where is possible to use credit cards (merchants connects abroad with foreign SIMs)
- It is very difficult to book Iranian hotels from abroad since payments cannot be made
- Is not possible to rent cars
- The main language is Farsi, The English language is not particularly widespread at this time is not easy to book hotels not even using local Iranian web sites
- You rely on a travel agency in your country : they will arrange the trip for you, from the visa to flight, from hotel to transportation, even restaurants. It will be an expensive trip and you'll stay apart from iranian people and real iranian life. I would not personally recommend such a trip, but I'm aware that for many people this is the best option
- Try to arrange all the trip on your own: you can buy the flight and ask for a visa by yourself. You can try to arrange accommodation contacting someone from your country, in case you are not able to do this you can look for a place to stay directly when you arrive in Iran (ask to the taxi driver to bring you somewhere of just walk in some city and look for a place to stay). Once you are in Iran and you have a place to sleep, you can ask for local tours, local guides or you can try to walk and move on your own. Is a low cost trip, but you will never know about the quality of accommodation. Moving from a city to another can be a difficult and time consuming process. You could live the wonderful experience of be hosted by a local family… it is an unpredictable trip. It is a kind of journey that, although fascinating, we only suggest to people used to those kind of trips.